Routledge Language Workbooks provide absolute beginners with practical introductions to core areas of language study. Books in the series provide comprehensive coverage of the area as well as a basis for further investigation. Each Language Workbook guides the reader through the subject using ‘hands-on’ language analysis, equipping them with the basic analytical skills needed to handle a wide range of data. Written in a clear and simple style, with all technical concepts fully explained, Language Workbooks can be used for independent study or as part of a taught class.
History of English:
• examines the history of the English language in order to explain the English that is used today
• introduces key linguistic concepts
• provides ‘discussion points’ to generate debate
• encourages readers to think critically about the subject
• involves readers in collecting and analysing their own data
• contains a ‘mini-corpus’ of texts, used for exercises and to illustrate points raised in the commentary
Revised throughout, this updated edition integrates the latest research on the history of English, including an additional chapter on English letters and punctuation, and an updated bibliography. History of English, 3rd edition provides an essential introduction and workbook for students coming to this subject for the first time.