New Edition Now Covers Recycling, Environmental Issues, and Analytical Determination
Employing four decades of experience in the rare metal and rare earths industry, the authors of Extractive Metallurgy of Rare Earths, Second Edition present the entire subject of rare earth elements with depth and accuracy. This second edition updates the most important developments from the past 10 years. It emphasizes advances made in rare-earth materials processing (converting a rare-earth metal, alloy, or compound to a device-ready material), breakthroughs in the area of rare-earth separation, and now includes a chapter on the recycling of rare earth elements from magnets, batteries, and phosphors among others, covering both manufacturing scrap or materials in end of life devices.
Essential to Your Collection
This second edition presents comprehensive, detailed, and up-to-date coverage that includes:
- All aspects of rare earth extractive metallurgy
- A status of rare earth extraction from various world resources
- Flow sheets that can be used for rare earths separation, metal reduction, alloy making, refining and end product materials preparation
- Techniques of various rare earths recycling options
- An outline of environmental issues in rare earths mining and processing
- Methods of rare earths determination and analyses of components and impurities in rare earth materials
- Information extensively linked to primary literature with a complete listing of references
- A narration of the changing scenario of world rare earth resources and possibility of their exploitation
An indispensable resource, Extractive Metallurgy of Rare Earths, Second Edition explains the many aspects of rare earth extractive metallurgy clearly and systematically. The text reveals process implementation possibilities and research opportunities, and considers potential solutions to the challenges impacting this rapidly changing industry.