Principles of Economics in Context lays out the principles of micro- and macroeconomics in a manner that is thorough, up to date, and relevant to students, attuned to the economic realities of the world around them. It offers engaging treatment of important current topics such as new thinking in behavioral economics, financial instability and market bubbles, debt and deficits, and policy responses to the problems of unemployment, inequality, and environmental sustainability. This new, affordable edition combines the just-released new editions of Microeconomics in Context and Macroeconomics in Context to provide an integrated full-year text covering all aspects of both micro and macro analysis and application, with many up-to-date examples and extensive supporting web resources for instructors and students.
Read alsoWhat if Money Grew on Trees?: Asking the Big Questions about Economics
Consider a world where gold is worthless, everybody earns the same amount, banks do not exist and international trade is banned. Would our lives be better if all work was fun, debt was wiped out and anybody could live wherever they wanted? What would happen if we banned adverts, stopped shopping and rationed carbon? All these ideas and more are…
An eye-opening statistical portrait of the United States;
- Clear explanation of basic concepts and analytical tools, with advanced models presented in optional chapter appendices;
- Presentation of policy issues in historical, institutional, social, political, and ethical context – an approach that fosters critical evaluation of the standard microeconomic models, such as welfare analysis, labor markets, and market competition;
- Issues of human well-being, both domestic and global, are given central importance, enriching the topics and analytical tools to which students are introduced;
- The theme of sustainability – financial, social, and ecological – is thoroughly integrated in the book, with chapters on alternatives to standard GDP measurement, the environment, common property, public goods, and growth and sustainability in the twenty-first century;
- Full complement of instructor and student support materials online, including test banks and grading through Canvas.