Read alsoThe Vase
During an unusual heat wave in Nazareth, a series of freak geomagnetic storms sets in motion a bizarre chain of events, all of which revolve around a lone ancient vase. The vase belongs to a humble Palestinian potter who depends on the largess of tourists to earn his meager living from sales of earthenware in the Old City Market. He is no stranger…
The Media play a diverse and significant role in the practical expression of racism and in the everyday politics of ethnicity. Written by two veterans of research on media and 'race', this book offers a fresh comparative analyses of the issues and sets out the key agendas for future study.
Representing 'Race': racisms, ethnicities and media
- Introduces and evaluates key conceptual issues
- Provides a conceptual framework for understanding the role of the media
- Addresses a number of pressing political concerns including 'racial'justice and the drift to the Right
- Includes a wide range of contemporary examples from Britain,
the USA, Europe, Australia.
- Analyzes the growth of indigenous people's media
- Compares media representations of 'race', 'religion', 'tribe',
- Assesses current strategies for reforming professional media
practice in this sphere.
Drawing on years of research, this book provides both a major intervention in the debate, as well as a comprehensive introduction to the area. As such, it will be required reading for anyone interested in 'race', representation and the media.