From the author of The Monogamy Myth, an essential guide written specifically for married couples to strengthen their relationship and prevent affairs.
Read alsoAlgal Ecology
Algae are an important component of aquatic benthic ecosystems because they reflect the health of their environment through their density, abundance, and diversity. This comprehensive and authoritative text is divided into three sections to offer complete coverage of the discussion in this field. The first section introduces the locations of…
Based on Peggy Vaughan's 30 years of work with married couples and the issue of affairs, this new handbook challenges the assumption that monogamy can be taken for granted, and provides the tools for building a strong marriage and preventing affairs.
Explaining the need to focus on preventing affairs before there is any threat to a marriage, she draws on her survey of 755 people regarding their beliefs to present "What Won't Work" and "What Will Work" to prevent affairs.
Throughout To Have and to Hold, Vaughan details specific strategies and techniques, emphasizing that:
- Relying on attitudes and beliefs is not sufficient to maintain a monogamous relationship over a lifetime.
- Focusing on actions and behaviors is far more significant to strengthen a relationship.
- Responsible honesty is the single most important factor in preventing affairs.
- Everybody (society as a whole) plays a role in supporting couples' efforts to maintain monogamy.
- Parents have a special responsibility to break the pattern for future generations.
Four appendices present Vaughan's survey questionnaire along with detailed breakdowns of responses.