Discover the people, places, teams and events that make Tulsa one of America's most unique cities by reading the first comprehensive eBook about the city's heritage in athletics and the American way of life.
The owner of Vine Industries is killed when his private jet crashes in the Mediterranean Sea. Soon after, his corporation is broken apart and its factories and sales offices are sold off to the highest bidders. Hank Morgan and Sam Oliver head to Barcelona to analyze whether to buy one of the Vine Industries factories. There they face a secretive…
From baseball to Broadway, Roughnecks soccer to rock and roll royalty, motor sports to museums, football to festivals, Western Art to Western Swing music and politics to pop culture, it's all right here in Derricks, Diamonds and Dreams: Life and Sports in the Tulsa Oil Patch.
You can read about:
– Contributions by Tulsans to the musical careers of Bob Wills, Count Basie, Eric Clapton, Beyonce and many others.
– How the manager of the 1966 Tulsa Oilers invented the baseball batting tee.
– How Tulsa Sound musicians, led by Leon Russell and J.J.Cale, impacted rock and roll and other musical genres.
– Why Tulsa is one of America's leading cities when it comes helping others in need.
– How the 1921 Tulsa Oilers baseball team was nearly caught up in the horrific Tulsa Race Riot.
– The religious leaders that helped make Tulsa "The Buckle of the Bible Belt."
– The stories of athletes who played in Tulsa along their journey to Hall of Fame careers.
– Contributions by Tulsans to literature and the performing arts.
– Why auto racing legend Lee Petty put a merciful end to Tulsa's only NASCAR race.
– Contributions by Tulsans to aviation and the exploration of outer space.
– How a Tulsa police officer created the Yield Right of Way traffic sign.
– The roles Tulsans have played from City Hall to the halls of Congress and international affairs.
– Tulsa-area performers who have appeared in everything from Broadway musicals to Saturday Night Live and reality TV.
– Memorable Tulsa sports performances from the days of Jim Thorpe and Babe Ruth to Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant.
No matter a person's age or interests, there is something for everyone in Derricks, Diamonds and Dreams: Life and Sports in the Tulsa Oil Patch.