Even if you've never touched a 3D printer, these projects will excite and empower you to learn new skills, extend your current abilities, and awaken your creative impulses. Each project uses a unique combination of electronics, hand assembly techniques, custom 3D-printed parts, and software, while teaching you how to think through and execute your own ideas.
Read alsoMaker Pro
Maker Pro is a book of essays by more than a dozen prominent and up-and-coming professional makers (Maker Pros). Each essay includes advice and stories on topics such as starting a kit-making business, taking a hardware project open-source, and plenty of encouragement to "quit your day job." This book is a reference for anyone who dreams of…
Written by the founder of Printrbot, his staff, and veteran DIY authors, this book of projects exemplifies the broad range of highly personalized, limit-pushing project possibilities of 3D printing when combined with affordable electronic components and materials.
In Make: 3D Printing Projects, you'll:
- Print and assemble a modular lamp that's suitable for beginners – and quickly gets you incorporating electronics into 3D-printed structures.
- Learn about RC vehicles by fabricating – and driving – your own sleek, shiny, and fast Inverted Trike.
- Model a 1950s-style Raygun Pen through a step-by-step primer on how to augment an existing object through rapid prototyping.
- Fabricate a fully functional, battery-powered screwdriver, while learning how to tear down and reconstruct your own tools.
- Get hands-on with animatronics by building your own set of life-like mechanical eyes.
- Make a Raspberry Pi robot that rides a monorail of string, can turn corners, runs its own web server, streams video, and is remote-controlled from your phone.
- Build and customize a bubble-blowing robot, flower watering contraption, and a DIY camera gimbal.