Read alsoUna canción macabra
Un libro lleno de misterio, fantasía y magia. “La prosa elegante de Alexander teje una atractiva fantasía que nos habla sobre el poder de la música.” Publishers Weekly Este libro nos conduce de regreso a Zombay, el país imaginario creado por el escritor William Alexander en El secreto de los duendes. Ahora nos encontramos con una…
Getting It On Online provides an inside look at three specific online communities-gaychub (a community celebrating male obesity), gaymuscle (a community formulated around images of the muscular male body), and gaymusclebears (a space representing the erotic convergence of the obese and muscular male bodies emerging out of the gay male bear subculture)-in an effort to unsettle those models of beauty and the erotic depicted in more mainstream media. The book demonstrates how the social position of these men in the physical world in regards to age, race, gender, class, and physical beauty influences their online experiences. Far from a realm of bodiless exultation, Getting It On Online illustrates how the flesh remains very much present in cyberspace.
Getting It On Online examines topics such as:
- why people chat online
- the history of IRC (Internet Relay Chat)
- how people construct their identities in cyberspace
- how some online spaces function like virtual gay bars
- the concept of online disembodiment
- the role the body plays in online social relations
- the future of online communication
- ethnographic research in cyberspace
- mediated images of the male body and the gay male beauty myth
- and much more!