RECENTLY UPDATED! With more than 50 high-resolution images, maps and a detailed tour itinerary, this is the definitive guide to Jerusalem’s most important sites. (2015)
Read alsoThe Temples of Angkor
RECENTLY UPDATED! With profiles of 23 of Angkor's top temples and nearly 200 high resolution images, this is the definitive guide to the Temples of Angkor. (2015)Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination’s essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art,…
Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination’s essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art, architecture, history, food, or wine.
A wonderfully complex and multi-layered city, Jerusalem is the crossroads of the world’s three great Abrahamic faiths: Christianity, Islam and Judaism. The ancient monuments erected to celebrate these religions still pulse with their original sacred energy. They are yours to discover.
What’s in this guidebook
- Tour of the city’s highlights. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we offer a tour of Jerusalem’s most iconic structures: the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Temple Mount’s Dome of the Rock and the Western Wall (details below). For each, we reveal its most important architectural and decorative features and provide a discussion that ties it all together. To make things come alive, we have packed our review with high-resolution images.
- Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook supplies logistical advice, maps and links to online resources. Plus, we give our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
- Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
- Church of the Holy Sepulchre. For the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which encloses the sites of Jesus’ crucifixion and burial, we explore the changes that the structure has undergone through the ages in response to adversity and changing requirements. Specifically, we examine the how the present church’s architectural layout relates to those of the three earlier edifices that occupied the site: the enormous 4th century Constantinian church; the modest rebuilt 11th century Byzantine church; and the expanded 12th century Crusader church.
- Temple Mount. Crowning the Temple Mount, the iconic 7th century Dome of the Rock is one of the earliest surviving Islamic structures. We explore its history, architecture, decoration and political significance. Further, we profile the Temple Mount’s other highlights: Al-Aqsa mosque, Dome of the Chain, Golden Gate and two Mamluk monuments.
- Western Wall. The Temple Mount’s history far pre-dates Islam’s presence on the scene. The Mount was the site of the three Jewish Temples, the first of which was built in 950 BCE. This guide discusses these temples — their histories and what they looked like — and profiles the only vestige of their existence, the Western Wall, the most sacred of Jewish religious sites.
One of the benefits of Approach Guides is that we can easily update content and release new editions of our guidebooks. These updates are free for existing customers. Please visit http://approachguides.com/updates for a list of recently updated guides and instructions on downloading the new version.
ABOUT APPROACH GUIDES
Approach Guides are cultural travel guidebooks that take an in-depth look at key sites and draw connections among their history, art, and architecture.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
- Travel + Leisure
What started as one couple's travel notes aimed at filling in the gaps in guidebooks has become ApproachGuides.com - a menu of downloadable travel guides that cover cultural and historical topics of interest to thoughtful travelers. What's hot: Bite-sized travel guides that specialize in topics ranging from 29 pages on the foods of Italy to one that helps you explore the historical and architectural significance of Angkor's famous temple structures in Cambodia.
- LA Times