Read alsoIndependence Hall in American Memory
Independence Hall is a place Americans think they know well. Within its walls the Continental Congress declared independence in 1776, and in 1787 the Founding Fathers drafted the U.S. Constitution there. Painstakingly restored to evoke these momentous events, the building appears to have passed through time unscathed, from the heady days of the…
* Every chapter first introduces mechanics concepts through deformation, equilibrium, and energy considerations. Then the constitutive nature of the chapter topic is presented, followed by a link between mechanics and materials concepts. Details of analysis and materials selection are subsequently discussed.
* A concluding example design problem is provided in most chapters, so that students may get a sense of how mechanics and materials come together in the design of a real structure.
* Exercises are provided that are germane to aerospace, civil, and mechanical engineering applications, and include both deterministic and design-type problems.
* Accompanying website contains a wealth of information complementary to this text, including a set of virtual labs. Separate site areas are available for the instructor and students.
* Combines theories of solid mechanics, materials science and structural design in one coherent text/reference
* Covers physical scales from the atomistic to continuum mechanics
* Offers a generalized structural design template