Diagnose and treat shaken baby syndrome with advice from experts in the field!When an angry adult shakes a baby, the child may suffer brain damage, broken ribs, deafness, mental retardation, cerebral palsy, coma, or death. Often there are personal, ethical, and legal consequences as well for everyone involved. The Shaken Baby Syndrome: A Multidisciplinary Approach is the first book to cover the full spectrum of shaken baby syndrome (SBS), from public health implications to prosecution. Because SBS causes so much damage and has so many implications, every case requires the cooperation of a team of professionals ranging from ophthalmologists to attorneys. The Shaken Baby Syndrome: A Multidisciplinary Approach will help you understand what responsibilities each member of the SBS team has, thus enabling you to work together more productively. The more smoothly the team works, the better the results for the child are likely to be.The Shaken Baby Syndrome: A Multidisciplinary Approach offers expert information and advice on every aspect of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up, including:
- who shakes babies and why they do it
- what biomechanical effects occur when a child is shaken
- what symptoms and signs various medical specialists – radiographers, ophthalmologists, neurologists, pathologists – should look for in potential cases of SBS
- how medical social workers should approach cases of suspected SBS
- how police can most effectively investigate SBS
- how to prosecute SBS perpetrators
- how educators, public health workers, counselors, and social workers can prevent SBSThis comprehensive reference is essential for anyone who encounters SBS, including emergency room personnel, physicians, nurses, social workers, police officers, attorneys, and child care workers. Every year thousands of babies are shaken badly enough to cause damage. The Shaken Baby Syndrome: A Multidisciplinary Approach offers the information you need to help those children.