On September 8, 1875, Wellesley College, an undergraduate liberal arts college for women, opened its doors to its first students. Eager, brave, and determined, they came from around the country to begin their new life. They took classes and made their home in College Hall, the grand building founders Henry and Pauline Durant built on a hill overlooking Lake Waban. From the beginning, an outstanding faculty, led and inspired by a series of gifted female presidents, devoted themselves to the education of their students, encouraging intellectual discussion, debate, and analytical thought. In this pioneering world of women's education, a community of learners was born and has thrived for the past 130 years. Wellesley's graduates have carried the tradition of excellence beyond the campus, epitomizing the college's mission "to provide an excellent liberal arts education for women who will make a difference in the world." In photographs and words, Wellesley College tells the story of this school from its early beginnings.