A psychiatrist examines how the world's four most important mind-altering substances— alcohol, cocaine, nicotine, and opiates—have played a significant role throughout human history, and explains how these powerful drugs affect the brain and cause addiction.
Read also101 Global Leadership Lessons for Nurses: Shared Legacies From Leaders and Their Mentors
Short chapters, each with a list of topic-specific reflective questions to help the reader integrate the concepts into his or her own leadership or mentoring style make it perfect for courses, study, and mentoring programs. Chapters are in alphabetical order by topic for quick and easy reference with an extensive index and author reference. Wide…
• Presents a historical review of four plant-derived drugs—alcohol, cocaine, nicotine, and opiates—and their effects throughout human civilization, as well as a fascinating exploration of the mystery and misery of addiction
• Provides comprehensive explanations of medical and psychiatric effects of these drugs
• Supplies stories of people who made discoveries about these drugs or who had their lives altered by them
• Describes the discovery of the way in which the brain works
• Includes illustrations of brain pathways and of the four plants of origin for these drugs, and maps showing drug trade triangles