Finally, someone has written a comprehensive, easily readable explanation of the tides on earth that is both simple enough for students and solid enough for their professors. Step by step, by analogy and illustration, Beyond the Moon describes how the cyclical motion of the near solar system is impressed upon the earth's oceans, and how the hydraulics over the continental shelf and the geography of the coastline orchestrate this rhythm into the bewildering variety of tide patterns seen around the globe. This volume demystifies the complexity of the tides by systematically examining its many constituents and demonstrates that: “Nature is, at once, awesome in complexity and beautiful in simplicity.”
Read alsoNight School: Endgame
The spy is gone but the cost has been high - the rebels at Cimmeria Academy have lost their leader and Carter West is missing. Nathaniel can taste victory. But Allie and the other survivors aren't done yet. First they have to get Carter back. Then they plan to make Nathaniel pay.
- The Tides in History. The Challenge of Understanding the Tides on Earth
- The Lunar Orbit
- Solar Influences and Solar–Lunar Interaction. Gravitation and Tractal Forces
- Celestial Harmonics
- The Coriolis Force and Oceanic Amphidromes. Coastal Kelvin Waves. Tidal Currents. Sea Level
- The Seiche Effect and Basins of Oscillation. Tidal Intermixing
- Coastal Geography and Near Shore Topography, Resonant Co-Oscillation and Sustained Forcing
- Shallow Estuaries and Tidal Pumping. Tidal Bores
- The Computation of the Tide-Tables. Chaos Theory
- The Weather and the Tides. Atmospheric Tides
- Tidal Influence on Marine Biology. The Tides and Saltwater Fishing. Practical Tide-Table Information for Coastal Boaters
- The Constituents of the Tides on Earth. Synopsis of Tidal Influences
Readership: Undergraduate oceanography students and secondary science students, as well as their teachers. The general public with an interest in science and nature. Coastal boaters, sailors, yachtsmen, and fishermen.