“With colorful characters so ludicrous they could only be real, McCord’s satire of profit, politics and capital punishment should be required reading.” – Clarion Review
Read alsoLosing Tom, Finding Grace
This book is unique. Written as a journal, it is an honest and intimate revelation of one woman's ability to cope with the unexpected suicide of her teenage son. Tom was a deep-thinking and creative young man, and an active Christian. How can a young Christian commit suicide? How can a parent not feel condemned? What goes through the minds of…
A satire in the tradition of Swift, Voltaire, Heller and Marx (Groucho, that is)
The Birth of Real America...is Not Without Complications
What will readers encounter when exploring the wicked and witty satirical universe of The Execution Channel: A Political Fable by Michael McCord?
First, they will travel to the not-too-distant future and discover the emerging new country of Real America, a new flag (see the book cover), and the Galtian Imperatives, a faith-based economic religion which promises that extreme austerity and eliminating government will ensure “prosperity for all” though the exact details of the alchemy remain elusive. Next, readers will see that John Galt, the fictional hero of Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, has become the founding father icon of Real America and the Real American Party, the new political force sweeping the land. Local militias do their patriotic duty and lead the privatization craze throughout Real America while employing a creative protection racket plan to fit every business budget.
Finally, readers will behold the majesty of The Execution Channel – a televinet network that promotes a focus-group tested variety of live executions in football stadium settings. As foretold by the Galtian Imperatives, The Execution Channel is hailed as a model of modern economic policy that seamlessly merges massive private sector profits and public sector bankruptcy.
Set in 2018 in the non-United States of America, The Execution Channel: A Political Fable is a subversive satire for our times and fantastical in its imaginative scope of American political rhetoric and public policy run amok. McCord, an award-winning political journalist and writer, offers fictional reportage with a provocative twist and more than a few punch lines.
Readers also will encounter a colorful cast of characters that embrace a higher calling of extreme self-interest:
· * Gov. Lawrence C. “Demon Seed” Bowie of the Real American Republic of Texas is in a political fix because his ‘War on the Poor’ tax plan isn’t working.
· * Texas militia leader Col. Rufus T. Fairbush wants to replace Bowie by the bullet or ballot while running on a platform to eliminate the idea of government.
· * Conservative televinet producer Jason Bravtart seeks redemption following the scandalous cancellation of The Real Homeless of Malibu Beach.
· * Billionaire speculator James “Big Stake” Frimmer II wants another big financial score to spread his political influence.
· * In the SoCal Liberty Territory of California, Penelope the Psychic is forced to be a confidential informant for Mr. Jones, the most feared security operator in Real America.
The book aspires, as Lewis Carroll’s White Queen so eloquently put it, to believe six impossible things at once, if not before breakfast then certainly by supper. When all is said and done, The Execution Channel: A Political Fable will leave readers wondering: Just how REAL is Real America?
Find out more at: www.the-execution-channel.com