Read alsoVISIONS FOR YOUR MISSION
Every human was made to be a component of the world with an allotment of time to accomplish a mission. The question is….What is your mission, no one knows specifically. The guarantee is that some time in your life’s pursuit you will do something significant to substantiate it.
Until now there has not been a comprehensive, formalised process to assess human damage to our ecosystems, to establish a baseline for future actions, or to disseminate information that would aid the formulation of better policies world-wide. This book is the first reliable, comprehensive base of evidence for taking stock and taking care of the world's diverse ecosystems.
• deals with the critical issues that focus on the link between ecosystems and people
• highlights the goods and services that ecosystems provide and illustrates the benefits of a better understanding and better management of the planet's natural wealth
• reports on pilot studies by leading scientists and international institutions assessing the state of the world's ecosystems - forests, croplands, grasslands, freshwater systems and coastal areas
• increases the understanding of human dependence on nature
• raises awareness of environmental threats
• provides examples of wise stewardship from all corners of the globe
• focuses on four main issues: population and human well-being, food and water security, consumption, energy and wastes, trace emissions since the Kyoto protocol
• gives data tables for more than 150 countries
It demonstrates the power of information and new digital technologies to transform the way we interact with our environment and is particularly important for environmentalists, scientists, professionals, journalists, policy-makers and students.
This special Millennium Edition of the World Resources Institute'sbiennial report published by Elsevier Science in September 2000 in partnership with the World Resources Institute, the UN Environment Program, the UN Development Programme and the World Bank.
NEW FROM APRIL 2001 -