Read alsoLadies of Letters
This book is created by writers Carole Hayman and Lou Wakefield. Irene Spencer and Vera Small - aka the ladies - are happily widowed and live in a world of church fetes and amateur dramatics. But when Irene meets Vera, tipsy and tangoing, at Irene's daughter Lesley's wedding reception, they embark on a correspondence unlike any other in the…
· Why Iran is viewed as a threat by most Middle East countries
· What resource is more important than petroleum in regional power plays
· What?s really behind the fighting between Sunni and Shia
· How Saudi Arabia inadvertently feeds the violence in Iraq and beyond
· How monarchies like those in Jordan and Qatar are more open and progressive than the so-called republics
With answers that will surprise many Americans, and covering a vast history and cultural complexity that will fascinate any student of the world, What Every American Should Know About the Middle East is a must-read introduction to the most critical region of the twenty-first century.