Back when most families depended on fresh produce harvested in their own garden for food, preserving it became a necessity to prolong its shelf life. This also allowed families to enjoy food that was out of season.
Read alsoTo See Father Washington
In 1790, in the northern Massachusetts town of Amherst, twelve-year–old Josh Ford’s father is arrested for a murder he didn’t commit. Fearing that his father will not receive a fair trial, young Josh decides to walk to New York City, then the capitol of the newborn United States, to get President George Washington to intervene.Josh’s journey leads…
It is common to see canning jars filled with colorful jellies and fruits in stores and even farmer’s markets. Some people even have their own canning recipe, which has been passed down to them from by their ancestors. People have different reasons why they preserve food through the canning method, but here are some of the benefits derived in the process:
• Health. Making your own canned food enables you to know exactly what is in it. You can avoid preservatives and other additives found in commercially produced canned food by making your own.
• Eco-friendly. You can limit food waste by canning your excess produce. Remember that the mason jars used in canning is also reusable so you do not have to use and discard jars every time you make preserves.
• Financial. Purchasing fruits and vegetables when they are in season enables you to save money. Also, you can create your own jams and jellies for your breakfast for a quarter of the price.
• Sentimental reasons. Some families pass on the canning recipe from parent to child. This makes people feel that they are continuing a family legacy whenever they prepare canned foods.
• Preserve personal harvest. People with backyard gardens can preserve excess produce and reduce waste.
• Gifts. Canned foods can be a good gift idea most especially if the receiver has already tasted your recipe. Having several cans ready can also be helpful when you need to give gift unexpectedly.
• Quality and taste. The best tasting canned food are those that are locally grown and harvested in season. It is very satisfying and rewarding to select your own ingredients for the recipes.
Paleo canning recipes enable people to preserve organic produce while adhering to the basic principles of the diet.
Canning is a preservation technique that aims to maintain the flavor of the fruit or vegetable. It is a safe method of packing jars with food and placing them in high temperature to kill any bacteria and organism that can cause it to spoil. Air is also forced out of the jar and a vacuum seal is created once the preserve starts to cool. This vacuum protects the food from being contaminated by microorganisms.